CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (1) FROM MARY – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (1) FROM MARY – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Can be part 1 of a 6 part series. See Christmas Skit menu. Or find all of them within a drama: “The Christmas Story”.)
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Mary reacts to the news she has just heard from the angel.
TOPIC:
Christ’s birth, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Luke 1:26-39.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(10) MARY – young teen, humble
( 8) GABRIEL’S VOICE - whisper-like reverb (not God-like)
PROPS:
Table, chair, cot, broom, bundle, clothing, etc.
SCRIPT: Mary’s dwelling.
(Mary enters and sits at the table. As the angel’s voice is played or spoken, Mary reacts mildly as if she is replaying the message in her mind.)
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.
(Mary always speaks to herself or God, never the angel.)
MARY:
Favored one? My mother would not always agree with that... Although, I always try my best to be obedient.
(looking up)
Lord God, You know I lean on Your strength to do my best. And now – I need Your strength more than ever.
(stands up anxiously)
This all still seems like a dream. Did I hear right? Could I have imagined it all? But I was so scared – so it must have happened.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.
MARY:
But did I correctly understand the angel? Am I to have a son - now? Why? HOW?
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end.
(Mary carefully touches her stomach, then looks up.)
MARY:
I still cannot grasp this, Lord. I am a virgin.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
MARY:
But yet - I am to have God’s Child.
(touching her stomach again)
Strange. I seem to feel His presence already. I am carrying God’s Son. I will give birth – to God’s Son – who will be King. How can this be?
(taking broom, sweeping nervously, then pausing)
I remember Father talking about our family tree. We ARE some of King David’s descendants. But – so are many others, as well. Why me?
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.
MARY:
I am nothing that special. I’m just a girl, who needs to constantly rely on You, Lord! And I am to raise Your Son – Your HOLY Son? How could I ever be worthy enough – to raise and nurture a Holy Being – when I myself am not perfect? HE will be teaching ME!
(Mary pretends to hold a baby, tenderly smiling.)
MARY:
What will it be like to hold God in my very arms? To look down into the face of the King of kings?
(quickly looks up with realization)
But I am just a girl - engaged to be married!
(sitting and fretting)
I am engaged to be married. To Joseph! And soon he will find out that I am with child. What will he say? What will he DO?
(shaking head in fear)
He could think that I had an affair, and have me stoned. Will Joseph believe me when I explain this? Who will believe this?
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary –
(Mary stands up anxiously, crying.)
MARY:
But WHO will ever believe this? I’m sure You have some plans, Lord. I just wish I could have a little more insight. Just a little more assurance.
(sitting down, fighting tears)
I feel very alone right now.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Behold, even your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age; and she who was called barren is now in her sixth month. For nothing will be impossible with God.
MARY:
My sweet aunt Elizabeth, so wise in her years?
(suddenly looking up, remembering.)
My aunt Elizabeth?! She cannot be pregnant too?! She was never ABLE to have children. And she is WAY past that time in her life.
(Mary starts packing things into blanket.)
MARY:
If– if– my aunt Elizabeth is pregnant – if this miracle truly happened – she will understand. She will most certainly understand! AND believe me. I must go see her. I am NOT alone in this.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
For nothing will be impossible with God.
(Mary pauses in prayer before exiting.)
MARY:
My Lord God, I know You are always with me, and You will get me through all of this. For everything IS possible with You. I am Your bondslave. May it be done to me according to Your word.
(Mary takes bundled items in blanket and exits.)
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Can be part 1 of a 6 part series. See Christmas Skit menu. Or find all of them within a drama: “The Christmas Story”.)
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Mary reacts to the news she has just heard from the angel.
TOPIC:
Christ’s birth, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Luke 1:26-39.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(10) MARY – young teen, humble
( 8) GABRIEL’S VOICE - whisper-like reverb (not God-like)
PROPS:
Table, chair, cot, broom, bundle, clothing, etc.
SCRIPT: Mary’s dwelling.
(Mary enters and sits at the table. As the angel’s voice is played or spoken, Mary reacts mildly as if she is replaying the message in her mind.)
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.
(Mary always speaks to herself or God, never the angel.)
MARY:
Favored one? My mother would not always agree with that... Although, I always try my best to be obedient.
(looking up)
Lord God, You know I lean on Your strength to do my best. And now – I need Your strength more than ever.
(stands up anxiously)
This all still seems like a dream. Did I hear right? Could I have imagined it all? But I was so scared – so it must have happened.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.
MARY:
But did I correctly understand the angel? Am I to have a son - now? Why? HOW?
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end.
(Mary carefully touches her stomach, then looks up.)
MARY:
I still cannot grasp this, Lord. I am a virgin.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
MARY:
But yet - I am to have God’s Child.
(touching her stomach again)
Strange. I seem to feel His presence already. I am carrying God’s Son. I will give birth – to God’s Son – who will be King. How can this be?
(taking broom, sweeping nervously, then pausing)
I remember Father talking about our family tree. We ARE some of King David’s descendants. But – so are many others, as well. Why me?
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.
MARY:
I am nothing that special. I’m just a girl, who needs to constantly rely on You, Lord! And I am to raise Your Son – Your HOLY Son? How could I ever be worthy enough – to raise and nurture a Holy Being – when I myself am not perfect? HE will be teaching ME!
(Mary pretends to hold a baby, tenderly smiling.)
MARY:
What will it be like to hold God in my very arms? To look down into the face of the King of kings?
(quickly looks up with realization)
But I am just a girl - engaged to be married!
(sitting and fretting)
I am engaged to be married. To Joseph! And soon he will find out that I am with child. What will he say? What will he DO?
(shaking head in fear)
He could think that I had an affair, and have me stoned. Will Joseph believe me when I explain this? Who will believe this?
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary –
(Mary stands up anxiously, crying.)
MARY:
But WHO will ever believe this? I’m sure You have some plans, Lord. I just wish I could have a little more insight. Just a little more assurance.
(sitting down, fighting tears)
I feel very alone right now.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
Behold, even your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age; and she who was called barren is now in her sixth month. For nothing will be impossible with God.
MARY:
My sweet aunt Elizabeth, so wise in her years?
(suddenly looking up, remembering.)
My aunt Elizabeth?! She cannot be pregnant too?! She was never ABLE to have children. And she is WAY past that time in her life.
(Mary starts packing things into blanket.)
MARY:
If– if– my aunt Elizabeth is pregnant – if this miracle truly happened – she will understand. She will most certainly understand! AND believe me. I must go see her. I am NOT alone in this.
GABRIEL’S VOICE:
For nothing will be impossible with God.
(Mary pauses in prayer before exiting.)
MARY:
My Lord God, I know You are always with me, and You will get me through all of this. For everything IS possible with You. I am Your bondslave. May it be done to me according to Your word.
(Mary takes bundled items in blanket and exits.)
Comments
Post a Comment