CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (5) FROM HEROD – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (5) FROM HEROD – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Can be part 1 of a 6 part series. See Christmas Skit menu. Or find all of them within a drama: “The Christmas Story”.)
STYLE:
Drama. (3 pages)
PREMISE:
Herod asks about prophecy and reveals his own evil intentions.
TOPIC:
Christ’s birth, opposition.
SCRIPTURE:
Matthew 2:1-8.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(8) KING HEROD –
(8) CHIEF PRIEST –
PROPS:
Crown for King Herod, robes (optional).
SCRIPT: King Herod’s throne room.
(As King Herod enters, Chief Priest bows and backs away.)
CHIEF PRIEST:
King Herod. I have gathered all the chief priests and scribes as you requested.
(Chief Priest waves his arm across congregation as if involved. King Herod addresses the congregation and the Chief Priest.)
KING HEROD:
Good. I require advice from all of you. A caravan of magi from the east just arrived here in Jerusalem. They came directly to my palace asking to see the King of Jews. They have come bearing many gifts and wish to worship said king.
CHIEF PRIEST:
Is this not good? It would be an opportunity to strengthen our realm with allies.
KING HEROD:
They were not referring to ME. According to some star in the sky, which they have been following for quite some time now, they are under the impression that some Jewish King has just been born.
CHIEF PRIEST:
Is the queen soon to deliver a son to you?
KING HEROD:
No! Now, I want you to tell me if there is anything to this. The scriptures tell of a Messiah to be born at some point, do they not?
CHIEF PRIEST:
Y– yes. And according to the prophecies in the scriptures of Daniel, this should be taking place – at – about this time... if indeed this will happen.
KING HEROD:
Do we want to take that chance? Is there anything in the scriptures that say WHERE this Messiah is to be born?
CHIEF PRIEST:
The Christ is to be born in Bethlehem of Judea, as it has been written by the prophet, Micah.
KING HEROD:
What does it say - EXACTLY?
(Chief Priest can recite, or maybe read from a scroll.)
CHIEF PRIEST:
It says, “And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the leaders of Judah; for out of you shall come forth a Ruler, who will shepherd My people Israel.”
KING HEROD:
I do not like the sound of that. We do not know how this could affect the people of Israel. And- this will not only upset everyone here in Jerusalem, but I certainly do not want anything to cause the leaders of Rome to question or undo my authority. We must do what we can to maintain the balance of power.
CHIEF PRIEST:
I quite agree.
(King Herod turns slightly to speak to the Chief Priest, as if in private.)
KING HEROD:
I will talk to these magi privately, and try to figure out exactly when this star appeared. That will determine the age of this Child. Then I will tell them to look for the Child in Bethlehem, and ask them to send word to me once they do find Him – so I too may go worship the Child.
CHIEF PRIEST:
(confused)
You will go to worship the Child?
KING HEROD:
Of course not! I want Him dead! But I will not let these magi know of my plan. This so-called MESSIAH must die!
(HEROD and PRIEST storm off the stage with purpose.)
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Can be part 1 of a 6 part series. See Christmas Skit menu. Or find all of them within a drama: “The Christmas Story”.)
STYLE:
Drama. (3 pages)
PREMISE:
Herod asks about prophecy and reveals his own evil intentions.
TOPIC:
Christ’s birth, opposition.
SCRIPTURE:
Matthew 2:1-8.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(8) KING HEROD –
(8) CHIEF PRIEST –
PROPS:
Crown for King Herod, robes (optional).
SCRIPT: King Herod’s throne room.
(As King Herod enters, Chief Priest bows and backs away.)
CHIEF PRIEST:
King Herod. I have gathered all the chief priests and scribes as you requested.
(Chief Priest waves his arm across congregation as if involved. King Herod addresses the congregation and the Chief Priest.)
KING HEROD:
Good. I require advice from all of you. A caravan of magi from the east just arrived here in Jerusalem. They came directly to my palace asking to see the King of Jews. They have come bearing many gifts and wish to worship said king.
CHIEF PRIEST:
Is this not good? It would be an opportunity to strengthen our realm with allies.
KING HEROD:
They were not referring to ME. According to some star in the sky, which they have been following for quite some time now, they are under the impression that some Jewish King has just been born.
CHIEF PRIEST:
Is the queen soon to deliver a son to you?
KING HEROD:
No! Now, I want you to tell me if there is anything to this. The scriptures tell of a Messiah to be born at some point, do they not?
CHIEF PRIEST:
Y– yes. And according to the prophecies in the scriptures of Daniel, this should be taking place – at – about this time... if indeed this will happen.
KING HEROD:
Do we want to take that chance? Is there anything in the scriptures that say WHERE this Messiah is to be born?
CHIEF PRIEST:
The Christ is to be born in Bethlehem of Judea, as it has been written by the prophet, Micah.
KING HEROD:
What does it say - EXACTLY?
(Chief Priest can recite, or maybe read from a scroll.)
CHIEF PRIEST:
It says, “And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the leaders of Judah; for out of you shall come forth a Ruler, who will shepherd My people Israel.”
KING HEROD:
I do not like the sound of that. We do not know how this could affect the people of Israel. And- this will not only upset everyone here in Jerusalem, but I certainly do not want anything to cause the leaders of Rome to question or undo my authority. We must do what we can to maintain the balance of power.
CHIEF PRIEST:
I quite agree.
(King Herod turns slightly to speak to the Chief Priest, as if in private.)
KING HEROD:
I will talk to these magi privately, and try to figure out exactly when this star appeared. That will determine the age of this Child. Then I will tell them to look for the Child in Bethlehem, and ask them to send word to me once they do find Him – so I too may go worship the Child.
CHIEF PRIEST:
(confused)
You will go to worship the Child?
KING HEROD:
Of course not! I want Him dead! But I will not let these magi know of my plan. This so-called MESSIAH must die!
(HEROD and PRIEST storm off the stage with purpose.)
Comments
Post a Comment