THE CHRISTMAS STORY – by Tanis Harms, © 2011

THE CHRISTMAS STORY – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


STYLE:
Drama. (23 pages)

PREMISE:
A mother tells her child the story of Christmas, which contains vignettes of main events.

TOPIC:
The birth of Jesus.

SCRIPTURE:
Matthew 1:18-2:23; Luke 1:1 – 2:38.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(36) MOM –
(34) CHILD –
(10) MARY –
( 7) JOSEPH –
(13) ANGEL’S VOICE - whisper-like reverb (not God-like)
(13) INNKEEPER –
(11) WIFE –
( 8) SHEPHERD –
( 7) WOMAN 1 –
( 6) WOMAN 2 –
( 8) KING HEROD –
( 8) CHIEF PRIEST –
( 8) MAGI 1 –
( 7) MAGI 2 -

PROPS:
FOR STAGE RIGHT:
Christmas tree, Comfy chair, knitting, Bible (with script).
FOR CENTER STAGE:
Vignettes can be spread out, or change set/s as you go.
SCENE 1: table, chairs, broom, clothes;
SCENE 2: workbench, tools, woodworking project;
SCENE 3: table, chairs, wash basin, cloth, dishes, lantern
SCENE 4: basket, water jug, shepherd staffs
SCENE 5: table, chairs, scrolls
SCENE 6: nothing needed

SCENE 1a: Living room, at stage right.

(Mom sits and knits. Child enters carrying a Bible.)

CHILD:
Mom, can you read me a story?

MOM:
It’s almost bedtime.

CHILD:
Please?

MOM:
(puts knitting away)
Of course. Which storybook do you have there?

CHILD:
The Bible. I want to hear the Christmas story.

(Child sits down beside Mom as she opens the Bible.)

MOM:
You do realize that the Christmas story is found in two different places in the Bible. I’ll have to jump around a bit.

CHILD:
Why is it like that?

MOM:
One part is found in the book of Matthew, and the other is found in the book of Luke. Both books have slightly different themes or focus, while at the same time, they tell the exact same story.

CHILD:
Which one is the real story, then?

MOM:
Well - both.
(sighing)
How can I explain it? Oh! I know. It’s like when Dad and I tell the story about how you were born –

CHILD:
Ooohhh! You like to tell all the funny things that Dad did, and Dad likes to tell us all the funny things YOU did.

MOM:
Exactly. It all – actually happened – and it’s exactly the same story about how you were born.

CHILD:
Okay. So tell me the story about how Jesus was born. What happened first?

MOM:
Well, in Luke chapter 1, verses 26 to 38, the angel Gabriel is sent to Mary to give her the message.

(Child scrunches up face, trying to think.)

MOM:
Are you okay?

CHILD:
I’m trying to imagine it.

MOM:
Yeah, it’s hard to imagine getting news like THAT!

(Mom and Child both scrunch up their faces to imagine.)

SCENE 1b: Mary’s dwelling, at center stage.

(Mary enters and sits at the table. As the Angel’s voice is played or spoken, Mary reacts mildly as if replaying the message in her mind. She only ever speaks to herself or God, never to the angel.)

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.

MARY:
Favored one? My mother would not always agree with that... Although, I always try my best to be obedient.
(looking up, speaking to God) 
Lord God, You know I lean on Your strength to do my best. And now – I need Your strength more than ever.

(Mary stands up anxiously.)

MARY:
This all still seems like a dream. Did I hear right? Could I have imagined it all? But I was so scared – so it must have happened.

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.

MARY:
But did I correctly understand the angel? Am I to have a son - now? Why? HOW?

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end.

MARY:
(touching stomach, then looking up)
I still cannot grasp this, Lord. I am a virgin.

ANGEL’S VOICE:
The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.

MARY:
But yet - I am to have God’s Child.
(touching her stomach again)
Strange. I seem to feel His presence already. I am carrying God’s Son. I will give birth – to God’s Son – who will be King. How can this be?
(taking broom, sweeps nervously, then pauses)
I remember my dad talking about our family tree. We ARE some of King David’s descendants. But – so are many others, as well. Why me?

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.

MARY:
I am nothing that special. I’m just a girl, who needs to constantly rely on You, Lord! And I am to raise Your Son – Your HOLY Son? How could I ever be worthy enough – to raise and nurture a Holy Being – when I myself am not perfect? HE will be teaching ME!
(pretending to hold a baby, tenderly smiling)
What will it be like to hold God in my very arms? To look down into the face of the King of kings?
(quickly realizing)
But I am just a girl - engaged to be married!
(sitting and fretting)
I am engaged to be married. To Joseph! And soon he will find out that I am with child. What will he say? What will he DO?
(shaking head in fear)
He could think that I had an affair, and have me stoned. Will Joseph believe me when I explain this? Who will believe this?

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid, Mary –

(Mary stands up anxiously, crying.)

MARY:
But WHO will ever believe this? I’m sure You have some plans, Lord. I just wish I could have a little more insight. Just a little more assurance. I feel very alone right now.

(Mary sits, putting her head to her hands, fighting tears.)

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Behold, even your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age; and she who was called barren is now in her sixth month. For nothing will be impossible with God.

MARY:
My sweet aunt Elizabeth, so wise in her years?
(suddenly looking up, remembering.)
My aunt Elizabeth?! She cannot be pregnant too?! She was never ABLE to have children. And she is WAY past that time in her life.

(Mary starts packing things into a blanket.)

MARY:
If – if – my aunt Elizabeth is pregnant – if this miracle truly happened – she will understand. She will most certainly understand! AND believe me. I must go see her. I am NOT alone in this.

ANGEL’S VOICE:
For nothing will be impossible with God.

(Mary pauses in prayer before exiting.)

MARY:
My Lord God, I know You are always with me, and You will get me through all of this. For everything IS possible with You. I am Your bondslave. May it be done to me according to Your word.

(Mary takes bundled items in the blanket and exits.)

SCENE 2a: Living room, at stage right.

MOM:
In Luke chapter 1, verses 39 to 56, we see Mary going to visit her relative, Elizabeth. We’re not really told why. But it is always a comfort to be with someone else who is going through something similar. Elizabeth was pregnant with the one who would become John the Baptist.

CHILD:
Oh. And so... was Mary hiding from Joseph?

MOM:
It does not say. The Bible only tells us that she stayed there for 3 months. By then, Mary’s tummy would have started to grow a bit. Maybe she was waiting as long as she could before telling Joseph. Or maybe she told Joseph right away, and then he sent her away secretly – maybe to Elizabeth’s house – so he could have time to think, or maybe for Mary to have the baby there -

CHILD:
Huh? And what do you mean, “put her away secretly?”

MOM:
Like, send her far away to have the baby, to keep her safe and away from people who would gossip. Also, back then, it was law, that if someone was unfaithful, they could be stoned to death.

CHILD:
So, Joseph would have been ANGRY!

MOM:
I can only imagine.

CHILD:
So God sent Gabriel to Joseph then, right?

MOM:
It does not give us a name, it just says “an angel,” but it could have been. So now we go back to Matthew chapter 1.

(Child scrunches face to imagine the scene.)

SCENE 2b: Joseph’s dwelling, at center stage.

(Working on a carpentry project, Joseph shakes his head.)

JOSEPH:
How could I be so dense?... How it must have hurt her, when I refused to believe what she said. But, how could anyone believe such a thing? That’s why- even if she HAD been unfaithful, I did not want her to be publicly disgraced.
(hanging head in shame)
Perhaps - I also wanted to spare myself. Yet, still, what will they all say when she starts to show? I can still hear the angel’s words – and even NOW they sound unbelievable.

(Joseph tries to go back to work. As the angel’s voice is played or spoken, Joseph reacts mildly as if replaying the message in his mind.)

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

JOSEPH:
(looking up)
Of course I believe, Lord. NOW! Though, I am ashamed You had to send an angel to – convince me. But still, I have concerns. And questions. What am I supposed to do? And -

ANGEL’S VOICE:
She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.

JOSEPH:
And what is HE supposed to do? What does that all mean for Him. Am I to worry? Of course, I should not worry. The scriptures are clear that we are NOT to fear or worry about anything, but only fear You.
(standing, wringing hands)
I get the sense that a father generally cares and worries about his family – and wants to protect them. But, if this Child is to one day grow up – and save people from their sins – who am I to protect HIM? HE will be saving ME. That thought alone – is very humbling to a man.

ANGEL’S VOICE:
All this is to happen - to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet: ‘Behold, the virgin shall be with Child and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,’ which means ‘God with us.’

JOSEPH:
And am I, a humble carpenter, supposed to raise God’s Son!? Our life will be pretty much one of poverty. Again, a father wants to provide only the BEST for his family.
(chuckling)
Of course, You know that better than I do. You being our Heavenly Father, and me – not yet an earthly father.
(looking down, studying his project)
But what? Will I teach Him how to build with His hands, the One who has created the universe with just His word? I am not worthy for this. I have nothing to offer Him.
(thinking)
I can only offer Him whatever You provide to me. Hmph. So I see - there will be love. Plenty of love. And Mary will be an excellent mother. She is kind, and tenderhearted. And patient! She has been very patient with me, after all. After all I put her through.

(Joseph paces a bit, thinking.)

JOSEPH:
Yet, how much will we go through? What is to come? What does this future LOOK like? We could be in danger as soon as Mary starts to show, which will be very soon now.
(stops still)
If only the ground could just swallow us up, or we could somehow disappear for a time.

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid-

JOSEPH:
(sighing)
I do not have to be afraid. I am sure – that You have a perfect plan. Why wouldn’t You? You have laid out Your plan, for us to see, in the scriptures.
(pacing again)
There are scriptures that foretell this event! Surely, there will be those who believe!

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife - who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

JOSEPH:
I NEED to find Mary! Let her know that I believe -
(pacing faster)
She needs to know that I WILL carry out our plans to be married - after – after she gives birth to God’s Son. She needs to know – that together -
(stopping to look up)
together - we will carry out YOUR plan, all with Your help, guidance, and protection. We will trust that You will take care of every detail.

(Joseph quickly exits.)

SCENE 3a: Living room, at stage right.

CHILD:
So how did God work it out? Did people get suspicious?

MOM:
No, because God made a way for them to disappear. At that time, a very interesting thing happened. This is found in Luke chapter 2. Caesar Augustus made a decree that a world-wide census be taken.

CHILD:
What’s a “decree”?

MOM:
It is an “order” - an official order. And a “census” is where the government counts all the people living in particular areas. But for THIS census, everyone was supposed to travel to their own city, where their ancestors originally came from. So Joseph had to go to Bethlehem. And he took Mary with him.

CHILD:
So, this saved Mary and Jesus from being killed.

MOM:
And in Bethlehem, the people there would not have known anything about them. It’s around 70 miles one way from Nazareth, in Galilee, to Bethlehem, in Judea.

CHILD:
Only 70 miles!? You can do that EASY! Right? That’s like driving to Gran and Grandpa’s house. 2 hours - tops.

MOM:
In a car! But Mary rode on a donkey, and Joseph had to walk. Eventually, they got there, only to find out there was no room at the inn.

CHILD:
Was it tourist season? Oh right, the census-thing. And no other motels or hotels? Well, didn’t they have relatives there?

MOM:
Probably not anyone they knew. And at that time of year, it would have been very cold and rainy. I suppose maybe the innkeeper had some compassion on them, and helped them out as much as possible.

SCENE 3b: Innkeeper’s dwelling, at center stage.

(Wife washes dishes at the table. Innkeeper enters and sits down.)

WIFE:
What was that all about?

INNKEEPER:
This poor couple came by looking for a room -

WIFE:
You told them we were completely filled up, right? I can’t keep up with all the work as it is. I mean, I’m very happy about the extra money we’re making, but – I’m so tired!

INNKEEPER:
Don’t worry –

WIFE:
So you sent them away?

INNKEEPER:
Not exactly.

(Wife puts her hands on her hips, skeptical.)

INNKEEPER:
But don’t worry –

WIFE:
You tell me “don’t worry”. Any time you get a bright idea, and say “don’t worry”, this is when I worry.

INNKEEPER:
I told them they could stay in the stable, in the back.

WIFE:
Now I KNOW I should worry! What if they steal our guests’ horses. Or eat all our chickens?

INNKEEPER:
Don’t worry. They seem like a very nice couple. There’s something very special-

WIFE:
You are not always the best judge of character, my dear. Remember last year when –

INNKEEPER:
Aaaand she is ready to deliver. To - have a baby.

WIFE:
Oh! The poor dear! Why didn’t you start with that? Having a baby outside, in this weather? I should see if they’re okay. I should bring them some food. Maybe a blanket.

INNKEEPER:
We’re out of blankets.

WIFE:
Yes, of course, and we cannot take blankets away from our paying customers. But what will they sleep on?

INNKEEPER:
I did put some hay down on the floor.

WIFE:
Is it fresh? I hope you gave them fresh hay! Where will the baby sleep when it comes?

INNKEEPER:
I actually thought of that –

(Wife puts her hands on her hips, skeptical.)

INNKEEPER:
I put fresh hay – in one of the feeding troughs.

WIFE:
Okay, not bad. But, STILL, the baby will get cold. At least, the baby needs a blanket!
(looking at her washcloth)
I may have some more rags that they can use. I will bring them some food, and some rags. That just doesn’t seem like enough.

INNKEEPER:
But it is all that we can do.

WIFE:
I suppose. Except, it’s very dark out there. We can let them use our lantern.

(As wife grabs the lantern, a very bright light suddenly shines in. Wife looks eerily at Innkeeper, and tries to speak but shuts her mouth and looks outside again. Wife tries again, but is speechless. Innkeeper puts his hand on Wife’s shoulder.)

INNKEEPER:
Look at that star. I’ve never seen anything like it. Ever. And it’s right over our stable. I told you there was something special.

(Wife and Innkeeper exit and the lights dim.)

SCENE 4a: Living room, at stage right.

CHILD:
So they stayed in a barn?

MOM:
Yes. Some say it was more like a cave, but it was a place to keep the animals.

CHILD:
That would have been very smelly.

MOM:
Not to mention dirty, cold, damp, uncomfortable. I complained when I was in a nice, clean hospital.

CHILD:
I know, that’s always part of Dad’s story about when I was born.

MOM:
Yes-yes, let’s continue, shall we? Up next are the shepherds. This is still in Luke chapter 2.

CHILD:
So the shepherds got to see the star AND the angels. They must have been very special.

MOM:
Well, shepherds were NOT considered special by other people. They were the social outcasts.

CHILD:
You mean, people did not like them very much? Then why did THEY get this special message?

MOM:
God loves everyone, and this was kind of a way to prove that. Because God wants everyone to seek and find Jesus.

SCENE 4b: outside in a town somewhere, at center stage.

(Women 1 & 2 walk onto stage as if getting food and water. Shepherd bounds in and gets their attention.)

SHEPHERD:
Wonderful joyful news, people! Ladies! I have seen the Christ-child –

WOMAN 1:
Get away from me, you smelly shepherd boy!

SHEPHERD:
But I have seen Him – and His name is Jesus.

WOMAN 2:
What?! You were just walking along in the fields, then stumbled right over the Christ-Child?

SHEPHERD:
Us shepherds WERE in the fields. Some of us were sleeping, and a few of us were watching the sheep, when angels appeared -

WOMAN 1:
Angels came to YOU? Why would angels appear to some reeking animal watchers? I’ve only ever heard of angels appearing to important people. Right? Or am I wrong?

SHEPHERD:
That was PART of the good news! The angels came to deliver the message – for US – the common man – for ALL people!

WOMAN 1:
Common! Me? Do not include me in YOUR group. YOU are the lowest of lowlifes of society!

WOMAN 2:
Let him finish, dear.

SHEPHERD:
The Christ-child, whose name is Jesus, is the Lord and Savior for ALL people. For everybody! Including us shepherds.

WOMAN 1:
Not only are you disgusting, you’re crazy!

WOMAN 2:
I don’t know. My husband has studied the scriptures and he has been talking about the Messiah and His imminent coming. And part of God’s promise in our Abrahamic covenant is that through his seed, all nations will be blessed.

WOMAN 1:
Do not encourage this man.

WOMAN 2:
(to Shepherd)
Tell me more, and please, start from the beginning.

SHEPHERD:
We were in the fields. Now, right BEFORE the big host of angels filled the sky with praises to God, and wishes of peace to all people, there was just ONE angel. So when that first angel appeared –
(shrugging modestly)
I - I have to be honest here – we were terrified. But the angel told us not to be afraid, then gave us the good news, which will mean great joy for everyone.

(Woman 2 motions big to Woman 1.)

WOMAN 2:
That’s exactly it! Through Abraham’s seed, all nations will be blessed.
(to Shepherd)
Please go on. What else did the angel say?

SHEPERD:
The message was: that our Savior, Christ the Lord, was born today. The angel said we’d find Him in Bethlehem, in a feeding trough of a stable.

WOMAN 1:
Now really! This is too much. In a stable for animals? Why would our Messiah be found in some barn?! If He really came, it would certainly be in a palace!

SHEPHERD:
I saw it for myself. We went right away and found the Baby. It was just like the angel said.

WOMAN 1:
(walking away while speaking)
This is just all too much.

WOMAN 2:
Well I want to get my husband and go see Jesus! Will you take us there?

SHEPHERD:
I will. Then you can see for yourselves. Seeing the angels was amazing, but meeting Jesus personally is life changing.

(Shepherd and Woman 2 walk off stage while still talking.)

SCENE 5a: Living room, at stage right.

CHILD:
So some people didn’t believe? Even after seeing the star?

MOM:
Some people only see with their eyes, but they do not see with their hearts.

CHILD:
But the three wise men saw the star and believed.

MOM:
That part is found in Matthew chapter 2. But we don’t know how many wise men there were. Because the Bible mentions three gifts, we always just assume there were three magi.

CHILD:
(balking)
So there could have been many magi?

MOM:
Yes. But it doesn’t really matter. The magi saw the star and knew that it signified the birth of the great King that was prophesied. So, they followed the star into Israel. As they went through Jerusalem, which is the capital city, they stopped in at the palace.

CHILD:
Did they think Jesus was born in a palace too? I mean, I guess that only makes sense.

MOM:
We don’t know. Maybe. But it was also to let the king of Israel know that they had entered his country, and that they did not mean any harm. You see, when strangers enter a country, the government wants to know why they are visiting, so they know that they are not there to start a war, or do something bad. Herod was the king at that time.

CHILD:
But if Israel already had a king, why was Jesus born right then?

MOM:
Herod was not of royal birth. But the Roman Empire, who ruled pretty much all of the countries back then, made him king over Israel. In order to be a rightful king in Israel, one has to be from the bloodline of King David, who was from Bethlehem.

CHILD:
Ohhh! That’s why all those lists of names in the Bible are so important.

MOM:
Yes, it proves that Jesus is a descendant of King David, and that He is the rightful King of Israel, as well as the King of kings. Well, King Herod didn’t care about any of that. He just did not want to lose any of his power.

SCENE 5b: King Herod’s throne room, at center stage.

(As King Herod enters, Chief Priest bows and backs away.)

CHIEF PRIEST:
King Herod. I have gathered all the chief priests and scribes as you requested.

(Chief Priest waves his arm across congregation as if they are involved. King Herod addresses the congregation and the Chief Priest.)

KING HEROD:
Good. I require advice from all of you. A caravan of magi from the east just arrived here in Jerusalem. They came directly to my palace asking to see the King of Jews. They have come bearing many gifts and wish to worship said king.

CHIEF PRIEST:
Is this not good? It would be an opportunity to strengthen our realm with allies.

KING HEROD:
They were not referring to ME. According to some star in the sky, which they have been following for quite some time now, they are under the impression that some Jewish King has just been born.

CHIEF PRIEST:
Is the queen soon to deliver a son to you?

KING HEROD:
No! Now, I want you to tell me if there is anything to this. The scriptures tell of a Messiah to be born at some point, do they not?

CHIEF PRIEST:
Y– yes. And according to the prophecies in the scriptures of Daniel, this should be taking place – at – about this time... if indeed this will happen.

KING HEROD:
Do we want to take that chance? Is there anything in the scriptures that say WHERE this Messiah is to be born?

CHIEF PRIEST:
The Christ is to be born in Bethlehem of Judea, as it has been written by the prophet, Micah.

KING HEROD:
What does it say - EXACTLY?

(Chief Priest can recite, or maybe read from a scroll.)

CHIEF PRIEST:
It says, “And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the leaders of Judah; for out of you shall come forth a Ruler, who will shepherd My people Israel.”

KING HEROD:
I do not like the sound of that. We do not know how this could affect the people of Israel. And- this will not only upset everyone here in Jerusalem, but I certainly do not want anything to cause the leaders of Rome to question or undo my authority. We must do what we can to maintain the balance of power.

CHIEF PRIEST:
I quite agree.

(King Herod turns slightly to speak to the Chief Priest, as if in private.)

KING HEROD:
I will talk to these magi privately, and try to figure out exactly when this star appeared. That will determine the age of this Child. Then I will tell them to look for the Child in Bethlehem, and ask them to send word to me once they do find Him – so I too may go worship the Child.

CHIEF PRIEST:
(confused)
You will go to worship the Child?

KING HEROD:
Of course not! I want Him dead! But I will not let these magi know of my plan. This so-called MESSIAH must die!

(HEROD and PRIEST storm off the stage with purpose.)

SCENE 6a: Living room, at stage right.

CHILD:
So Baby Jesus was in danger of being killed again?

MOM:
Yes, He was. But first the magi followed the star, and found Jesus who was almost two years old by now.

CHILD
They lived in a stable for two years?

MOM
Actually, verse 11 tells us that by now they were living in a house. I’m sure over time, Joseph had found work, and then built or bought a small house to live in. Anyway, the star was still in the sky for the magi to follow. When they arrived, they worshipped Jesus and gave Him their gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

SCENE 6b: outside in a town somewhere, at center stage.

(Magi 1 & 2 enter and talk amongst each other. They are still in awe from seeing Jesus.)

MAGI 1:
I have seen the King of kings. I have beheld His glory.

MAGI 2:
We traveled very far, and it was worth every single day of our long hard journey.

MAGI 1:
Amen.

MAGI 2:
And we could have brought ALL our treasures and given it to the Christ-child, and it still would not have been enough.

MAGI 1:
Amen-amen. I see how this Child has changed the hearts of men already.

(Magi 2 becomes very contemplative.)

MAGI 2:
This Child is very great, and I believe He will do something very important which will change the entire world in some way.

MAGI 1:
Yes! And sadly, many will not appreciate this.

MAGI 2:
That is why we must return home by another way.

MAGI 1:
We were to report back to king Herod.

MAGI 2:
I had a dream last night. God warned me in this dream not to return to Herod. I believe that man means to harm this Child. I am sure Herod sees this Child as a huge threat to his kingdom.

MAGI 1:
I fear this Child’s life will meet with an untimely death.

MAGI 2:
Perhaps, but if so, there will be purpose. The mystery of Jesus’s birth will most likely be revealed at His death.

MAGI 1:
Why do you say that?

MAGI 2:
I have seen scriptures of old – God’s words written down by the prophet Isaiah – saying,
(reciting)
“Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. But He was pierced through for OUR transgressions, He was crushed for OUR iniquities; The chastening for OUR well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging - we are healed.”
(speaking plainly)
So I fully believe that He will conquer death in order to offer new life to all people. It is just not His time to do this yet.

MAGI 1:
I believe this, as well. If this were not so, God would not have warned you in a dream to return home another way.

(Nodding in agreement, Magi 1 & 2 exit.)

SCENE 7: Living room, at stage right.

CHILD:
Of course Baby Jesus was safe?

MOM:
Yes, because His time had not yet come, because Jesus was born with a great purpose. The magi went back to their own country, and Joseph was told in a dream to escape to Egypt. Meanwhile, when King Herod realized that the magi had no intentions of reporting back to him, Herod sent his army into the Bethlehem area to kill all boys under the age of two.

CHILD:
That’s terrible. Why do people do such evil things? At least, God saved Jesus’s life again.

MOM:
After the death of King Herod, Joseph was told in yet another dream that it was now safe to return to Israel, to live in the city of Nazareth, where Jesus grew up.

CHILD:
So if God kept saving Jesus’ life, why did Jesus have to die?

MOM:
The Lord Jesus Christ was born in flesh, to be fully man, while still being fully God, so that He could die for all our sins – at the proper time. Because there is evil in this fallen, broken world, and because we have all sinned, we all need saving. And because God loves us and wants us to have a personal relationship with Him, in order to provide the way, He died for us and took on the punishment that we all deserve. In this way, He paid the price for all evil and all sins, for all people, of all time.

CHILD:
That’s so sad.

MOM:
But Jesus rose again, having victory over sin and death, so when we choose to believe in Him, we can have eternal life with Him in heaven.

CHILD:
I see. That is why His birth is so important. It's like, God loved us so much, He gave us His only Son as the best Christmas present ever!

MOM:
And that is exactly why we celebrate it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTMAS PROPHECIES – by Tanis Harms, © 2011

HOW CHRISTMAS CHANGED THE GROUCH – by Tanis Harms, © 2013

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013