HOW CHRISTMAS CHANGED THE GROUCH – by Tanis Harms, © 2013

HOW CHRISTMAS CHANGED THE GROUCH – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


STYLE:
Satire. (4 pages)

PREMISE:
Delivered in a Dr. Seuss poem-style, a youth group helps Greg understand the true meaning of Christmas.

TOPIC:
Gift of Christmas.

SCRIPTURE:
Eph.2:8; James 1:17.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(10) NARRATOR – story teller
( 6) GREG – skeptical teen
( 3) MINDY – friendly teen
( 1) EXTRA TEENAGERS -

PROPS:
Christmas tree, decorations, old sofa/chair.

SCRIPT: youth group room.

(Youth group Teens enter to decorate as the Narrator stands off to the side. Mindy is part of this group, while Greg stands off, at the other side, to watch skeptically.)

NARRATOR:
In a church youth group –
just down the hall
and off to the right -
Down the stairs – then -
around a corner –
completely out of sight -
Was a room full of teens
decorating with passion
Trying to disguise their furniture
of rejected, outdated fashion.

(Teens step back to admire the tree. Appalled, Greg balks.)

NARRATOR:
Not yet adults,
they did what they could,
Then proudly stepped back – and –
THERE they stood.
Until a skeptical Greg –
rolled his eyes like a grouch!

GREG:
SOOO sad!

NARRATOR:
He said – sinking
into the declining couch.

(As Greg flops into an old sofa, it would be funny if the sofa had very little cushion support so he’d sink in. Narrator shakes head sadly.)

NARRATOR:
Most days, Greg the Grouch
was nasty and loud,
But a very quiet girl
stepped out from the crowd.
Most other teens liked to call her
Mindy Mouse-Doll,
But not so much THESE teens
who tried loving all.

(Narrator’s last 2 phrases are said in defense of the group and realizes that they need to get back on topic.)

NARRATOR:
Anyway!
(getting back into character of storyteller)
The timid, concerned girl
became so bold as to ask,

MINDY:
Hey, what’s up with you?

GREG:
What’s up with me?
I’ll give you a clue-

(Greg struggles to stand back up from the sofa.)

NARRATOR:
Then Greg arose with...

(Greg growls, finally freeing himself from the saggy sofa.)

NARRATOR:
He tried arising with an angry-mad clatter!

GREG:
Or, just straight up –
I’ll tell you the matter!
(now standing and “preaching”)
I do not like Christmas!
I do not, at all, Mindy!
I do not like Christmas
when it is still, or windy.
I do not like it, I fear,
even if it IS only once a year.
I do not like it in a house,
I do not like it in a hall,
I do not like Christmas,
Mindy Mouse-Doll.

(All Teens rock backwards on their heels in shock.)

ALL TEENS:
(gasping)

MINDY:
(bravely)
But what about the gift?

NARRATOR:
Mindy asked with concern.

(Greg puts up a hand at her.)

GREG:
That is the worst part!

NARRATOR:
Sneered Greg with a turn.

(Greg turns and paces, to “preach” again.)

GREG:
Gifts can be lame,
like socks - or a tie!
But even electronic games
become passé - and die.

MINDY:
I’m talking about Jesus
Who came to this earth,
Came as a baby
through a virgin birth,
To die for our sins,
and rise again,
It’s a gift of salvation
offered to all men.

(Greg stops to think about this, then concedes.)

GREG:
Eternal life cannot compare
to any other gift, that I know!

(Teens gather around Greg, some with their arms around his shoulders as they escort him off stage joyfully.)

NARRATOR:
Then the gift of love that was shared –
started to grow.
And this is a truth,
not just for one season,
People like Greg the Grouch
change with very good reason.
This precious hope and joy,
let it be heard in bells ringing.
Rejoicing hallelujahs
with everyone singing!
The celebration of Christmas
reminds everyone
of death and resurrection,
and all that Christ has done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTMAS PROPHECIES – by Tanis Harms, © 2011

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013