CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (2) FROM JOSEPH – by Tanis Harms, © 2011

CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (2) FROM JOSEPH – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Can be part 1 of a 6 part series. See Christmas Skit menu. Or find all of them within a drama: “The Christmas Story”.)

STYLE:
Drama. (3 pages)

PREMISE:
Joseph reacts to the news he has just heard from the angel.

TOPIC:
Christ’s birth, trust.

SCRIPTURE:
Matthew 1:18-25.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(8) JOSEPH –
(5) ANGEL’S VOICE - whisper-like reverb (not God-like)

PROPS:
Workbench, tools.

SCRIPT: Joseph’s dwelling.

(Working on a carpentry project, Joseph shakes his head.)

JOSEPH:
How could I be so dense?... How it must have hurt her, when I refused to believe what she said. But, how could anyone believe such a thing? That’s why- even if she HAD been unfaithful, I did not want her to be publicly disgraced.

(Joseph hands his head in shame.)

JOSEPH:
Perhaps - I also wanted to spare myself. Yet, still, what will they all say when she starts to show? I can still hear the angel’s words – and even NOW they sound unbelievable.

(Joseph tries to go back to work. As the angel’s voice is played or spoken, Joseph reacts mildly as if replaying the message in his mind. He only ever talks to himself or God, never to the angel.)

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

JOSEPH:
(looking up)
Of course I believe, Lord. NOW! Though, I am ashamed You had to send an angel to – convince me. But still, I have concerns. And questions. What am I supposed to do? And -

ANGEL’S VOICE:
She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.

JOSEPH:
And what is HE supposed to do? What does that all mean for Him. Am I to worry? Of course, I should not worry. The scriptures are clear that we are NOT to fear or worry about anything, but only fear You.
(standing, wringing hands)
I get the sense that a father generally cares and worries about his family – and wants to protect them. But, if this Child is to one day grow up – and save people from their sins – who am I to protect HIM? HE will be saving ME. That thought alone – is very humbling to a man.

ANGEL’S VOICE:
All this is to happen - to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet: ‘Behold, the virgin shall be with Child and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,’ which means ‘God with us.’

JOSEPH:
And am I, a humble carpenter, supposed to raise God’s Son!? Our life will be pretty much one of poverty. Again, a father wants to provide only the BEST for his family.
(chuckling)
Of course, You know that better than I do. You being our Heavenly Father, and me – not yet an earthly father.
(looking down, studying his project)
But what? Will I teach Him how to build with His hands, the One who has created the universe with just His word? I am not worthy for this. I have nothing to offer Him.

(Joseph takes a moment to think and look around.)

JOSEPH:
I can only offer Him whatever You provide to me. Hmph. So I see - there will be love. Plenty of love. And Mary will be an excellent mother. She is kind, and tenderhearted. And patient! She has been very patient with me, after all. After all I put her through.
(pacing and thinking)
Yet, how much will we go through? What is to come? What does this future LOOK like? We could be in danger as soon as Mary starts to show, which will be very soon now.
(stops still)
If only the ground could just swallow us up, or we could somehow disappear for a time.

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid-

JOSEPH:
(sighing)
I do not have to be afraid. I am sure – that You have a perfect plan. Why wouldn’t You? You have laid out Your plan, for us to see, in the scriptures.
(pacing again)
There are scriptures that foretell this event! Surely, there will be those who believe!

ANGEL’S VOICE:
Do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife - who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

JOSEPH:
I NEED to find Mary! Let her know that I believe -
(pacing faster)
She needs to know that I WILL carry out our plans to be married - after – after she gives birth to God’s Son. She needs to know – that together -
(stopping to look up)
together - we will carry out YOUR plan, all with Your help, guidance, and protection. We will trust that You will take care of every detail.

(Joseph quickly exits.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTMAS PROPHECIES – by Tanis Harms, © 2011

HOW CHRISTMAS CHANGED THE GROUCH – by Tanis Harms, © 2013

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013