CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (4) FROM SHEPHERD – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
CHRISTMAS VIEWPOINT (4) FROM SHEPHERD – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Can be part 1 of a 6 part series. See Christmas Skit menu. Or find all of them within a drama: “The Christmas Story”.)
STYLE:
Drama. (3 pages)
PREMISE:
A shepherd tells two women about seeing the Christ-Child.
TOPIC:
Christ’s birth, good news for all people.
SCRIPTURE:
Luke 2:8-20.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(9) SHEPHERD –
(7) WOMAN 1 –
(6) WOMAN 2 –
PROPS:
Robes, shepherd staff, basket, water jug.
SCRIPT: outside in a town somewhere.
(Women 1 & 2 walk onto stage as if getting food and water. Shepherd bounds in and gets their attention.)
SHEPHERD:
Wonderful joyful news, people! Ladies! I have seen the Christ-child–
WOMAN 1:
Get away from me, you smelly shepherd boy!
SHEPHERD:
But I have seen Him – and His name is Jesus.
WOMAN 2:
What?! You were just walking along in the fields, then stumbled right over the Christ-Child?
SHEPHERD:
Us shepherds WERE in the fields. Some of us were sleeping, and a few of us were watching the sheep, when angels appeared -
WOMAN 1:
Angels came to YOU? Why would angels appear to some reeking animal watchers? I’ve only ever heard of angels appearing to important people. Right? Or am I wrong?
SHEPHERD:
That was PART of the good news! The angels came to deliver the message – for US – the common man – for ALL people!
WOMAN 1:
Common! Me? Do not include me in YOUR group. YOU are the lowest of lowlifes of society!
WOMAN 2:
Let him finish, dear.
SHEPHERD:
The Christ-child, whose name is Jesus, is the Lord and Savior for ALL people. For everybody! Including us shepherds.
WOMAN 1:
Not only are you disgusting, you’re crazy!
WOMAN 2:
I don’t know. My husband has studied the scriptures and he has been talking about the Messiah and His imminent coming. And part of God’s promise in our Abrahamic covenant is that through his seed, all nations will be blessed.
WOMAN 1:
Do not encourage this man.
WOMAN 2:
(to Shepherd)
Tell me more, and please, start from the beginning.
SHEPHERD:
We were in the fields. Now, right BEFORE the big host of angels filled the sky with praises to God, and wishes of peace to all people, there was just ONE angel. So when that first angel appeared –
(Shepherd pauses and shrugs modestly before continuing.)
SHEPHERD:
I - I have to be honest here – we were terrified. But the angel told us not to be afraid, then gave us the good news, which will mean great joy for everyone.
(Woman 2 motions big to Woman 1.)
WOMAN 2:
That’s exactly it! Through Abraham’s seed, all nations will be blessed.
(to Shepherd)
Please go on. What else did the angel say?
SHEPERD:
The message was: that our Savior, Christ the Lord, was born today. The angel said we’d find Him in Bethlehem, in a feeding trough of a stable.
WOMAN 1:
Now really! This is too much. In a stable for animals? Why would our Messiah be found in some barn?! If He really came, it would certainly be in a palace!
SHEPHERD:
I saw it for myself. We went right away and found the Baby. It was just like the angel said.
WOMAN 1:
(walking away while speaking)
This is just all too much.
WOMAN 2:
Well I want to get my husband and go see Jesus! Will you take us there?
SHEPHERD:
I will. Then you can see for yourselves. Seeing the angels was amazing, but meeting Jesus personally is life changing.
(Shepherd and Woman 2 walk off stage while still talking.)
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Can be part 1 of a 6 part series. See Christmas Skit menu. Or find all of them within a drama: “The Christmas Story”.)
STYLE:
Drama. (3 pages)
PREMISE:
A shepherd tells two women about seeing the Christ-Child.
TOPIC:
Christ’s birth, good news for all people.
SCRIPTURE:
Luke 2:8-20.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(9) SHEPHERD –
(7) WOMAN 1 –
(6) WOMAN 2 –
PROPS:
Robes, shepherd staff, basket, water jug.
SCRIPT: outside in a town somewhere.
(Women 1 & 2 walk onto stage as if getting food and water. Shepherd bounds in and gets their attention.)
SHEPHERD:
Wonderful joyful news, people! Ladies! I have seen the Christ-child–
WOMAN 1:
Get away from me, you smelly shepherd boy!
SHEPHERD:
But I have seen Him – and His name is Jesus.
WOMAN 2:
What?! You were just walking along in the fields, then stumbled right over the Christ-Child?
SHEPHERD:
Us shepherds WERE in the fields. Some of us were sleeping, and a few of us were watching the sheep, when angels appeared -
WOMAN 1:
Angels came to YOU? Why would angels appear to some reeking animal watchers? I’ve only ever heard of angels appearing to important people. Right? Or am I wrong?
SHEPHERD:
That was PART of the good news! The angels came to deliver the message – for US – the common man – for ALL people!
WOMAN 1:
Common! Me? Do not include me in YOUR group. YOU are the lowest of lowlifes of society!
WOMAN 2:
Let him finish, dear.
SHEPHERD:
The Christ-child, whose name is Jesus, is the Lord and Savior for ALL people. For everybody! Including us shepherds.
WOMAN 1:
Not only are you disgusting, you’re crazy!
WOMAN 2:
I don’t know. My husband has studied the scriptures and he has been talking about the Messiah and His imminent coming. And part of God’s promise in our Abrahamic covenant is that through his seed, all nations will be blessed.
WOMAN 1:
Do not encourage this man.
WOMAN 2:
(to Shepherd)
Tell me more, and please, start from the beginning.
SHEPHERD:
We were in the fields. Now, right BEFORE the big host of angels filled the sky with praises to God, and wishes of peace to all people, there was just ONE angel. So when that first angel appeared –
(Shepherd pauses and shrugs modestly before continuing.)
SHEPHERD:
I - I have to be honest here – we were terrified. But the angel told us not to be afraid, then gave us the good news, which will mean great joy for everyone.
(Woman 2 motions big to Woman 1.)
WOMAN 2:
That’s exactly it! Through Abraham’s seed, all nations will be blessed.
(to Shepherd)
Please go on. What else did the angel say?
SHEPERD:
The message was: that our Savior, Christ the Lord, was born today. The angel said we’d find Him in Bethlehem, in a feeding trough of a stable.
WOMAN 1:
Now really! This is too much. In a stable for animals? Why would our Messiah be found in some barn?! If He really came, it would certainly be in a palace!
SHEPHERD:
I saw it for myself. We went right away and found the Baby. It was just like the angel said.
WOMAN 1:
(walking away while speaking)
This is just all too much.
WOMAN 2:
Well I want to get my husband and go see Jesus! Will you take us there?
SHEPHERD:
I will. Then you can see for yourselves. Seeing the angels was amazing, but meeting Jesus personally is life changing.
(Shepherd and Woman 2 walk off stage while still talking.)
Comments
Post a Comment